LIST OF EXPERIMENTS
GROUP A (CIVIL & MECHANICAL)
I CIVIL ENGINEERING PRACTICES
- Study of plumbing and carpentry components of residential and industrial buildings. Safety
- Study of pipeline joints, its location and functions: valves, taps, couplings, unions, reducers, and elbows in household fittings.
- Study of pipe connections requirements for pumps and turbines.
- Preparation of plumbing line sketches for water supply and sewage works.
Basic pipe connections – Mixed pipe material connection – Pipe connections with different joining components.
- Demonstration of plumbing requirements of high-rise buildings.
Carpentry using Power Tools only:
- Study of the joints in roofs, doors, windows and furniture.
Wood work, joints by sawing, planing and cutting.
II MECHANICAL ENGINEERING PRACTICES
- Preparation of butt joints, lap joints and T- joints by Shielded metal arc welding.
- Gas welding practice
- Simple Turning and Taper turning
- Drilling Practice
Sheet Metal Work:
- Forming & Bending: (b) Model making – Trays and funnels.
- Different type of joints.
Machine assembly practice:
- Study of centrifugal pump
- Study of air conditioner
- Smithy operations, upsetting, swaging, setting down and bending. Example – Exercise – Production of hexagonal headed bolt.
- Foundry operations like mould preparation for gear and step cone pulley.
- Fitting – Exercises – Preparation of square fitting and V – fitting models.
BEYOND THE SYLLABUS
(a)Study of Knurling
(b)Study of Boring
LIST OF MAJOR EQUIPMENTS
1. Assorted components for plumbing consisting of metallic pipes, plastic pipes, flexible pipes, couplings, unions, elbows, plugs and other fittings.
2. Carpentry vice (fitted to work bench)
3. Standard woodworking tools
4. Models of industrial trusses, door joints, furniture joints
5. Power Tools: (a) Rotary Hammer (b) Demolition Hammer (c) Circular Saw (d) Planer (e) Hand Drilling Machine (f) Jigsaw 18
1. Arc welding transformer with cables and holders
2. Welding booth with exhaust facility
3. Welding accessories like welding shield, chipping hammer, wire brush, etc.
4. Oxygen and acetylene gas cylinders, blow pipe and other
5. Centre lathe
6. Hearth furnace, anvil and smithy tools
7. Moulding table, foundry tools
8. Power Tool: Angle Grinder
9. Study-purpose items: centrifugal pump, air-conditioner.